Post new topic   Reply to topic    There is no Cow Level Forum Index -> Recruitment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Healzurbut



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts:

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
Hello all. I'm Ñursejoy, your fellow Shadow Priest, and I've created this post to go over my character, my talent choices, my rotation, among some other things. Feedback from anyone who can offer any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To start off, I have been playing for about 2 years now, reaching level 80 on March 13, 2009. This was a ways into Naxxramas, with talk of Ulduar already happening. I was a healer for the remainder of Naxxramas and I was quite a good one. I reached the best gear possible for my class at the time. I didn't play much during Ulduar due to different reasons, mainly the fact I didn't have time. When Trial of the Noobsader hit, I joined a top end guild on the Server Aegwynn and held the realm guild rank of #7 throughout most TotC. I then played for about a month when ICC came out, and took a month break. I came back for a period of 3 months, then took another 3 month break. And here I am now.


I often use different fan sites that are into Theory Crafting for Shadow Priests to maximize my DPS, and am looking for feedback on this. Two of my commonly visited ones are www.shadowpriest.com and www.elitistjerks.com. Elitist Jerks also offers information and theory crafting for all other classes.


I'll start with my talents and glyphs.

My current build is the 14-0-57 Shadow PvE build.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Crushridge&cn=%C3%91ursejoy&group=2

A few talent choices that I have noticed are quite often passed up are Inner Focus, in the Disc tree, and Improved Vampiric Embrace, in the Shadow tree.

Inner Focus (1/1): When activated, reduces the mana cost of your next spell by 100% and increases the critical effect chance of the spell by 25% if capable of a critical Strike.

Improved Vampiric Embrace (2/2): Increases the healing received from Vampiric Embrace by 67%.

These two talents are by far stronger than others when it comes to helping the raid as a whole. The best time to use Inner Focus on a normal fight that the group easily one shots would be whenever it is up, pairing it with a Mind Flay. On a fight that may take the group a little while to get used, or where shit commonly goes wrong, is to save it and pair it up with a Divine Hymn, which makes for an extremely powerful heal. Vampiric Embrace is quite an effective healing mechanism, based on the fight and how much damage the group is taking. The major problem use here would be for a tank group, and talenting into improving it makes it that much better, taking slightly more off the tanks.

Recently I have changed out talents from Improved Mind Blast and put them into threat reduction and mana saving. These talents are:
Focused Mind (2/3): Reduces the mana cost of your Mind Blast, Mind Control, Mind Flay, and Mind Sear abilities by 15%.
Shadow Affinity (3/3): Reduces the threat generated by your Shadow spells by 25%, and you receive 5% of your base mana when your Shadow Word: Pain or Vampiric Touch spells are dispelled.
Neither seem to enticing at first glance, especially since any tank should easily hold aggro, and Shadow Priests rarely have mana issues. But after several extensive tests, I have found to pull more dps on average without using Mind Blast in my rotation. As I will point out later on, the math shows that I should do more damage with it still in my rotation. But I'm bad at timing it or something.



Glyph Choices:

Majors:
Glyph of Shadow: While in Shadowform, your non-periodic spell critical strikes increases your spell power by 30% of your Spirit for 10 seconds.
Glyph of Mind Flay: Increases the damage done by your Mind Flay spell by 10% when your target is afflicted with Shadow Word: Pain.
Glyph of Shadow Word: Pain: The period damage ticks of your Shadow Word: Pain spell restore 1% of your base mana.

Minors:
Glyph of Shadowfiend: Receive 5% of your maximum mana if your Shadowfiend dies from Damage.
Glyph of Fading: Reduces the mana cost of your Fade spell by 30%.
Glyph of Levitate: Your Levitate spell no longer requires a reagent.


For the Major Glyphs, the choices should be the same for every single Shadow Priest out there. The first 2 are big DPS increases, and the third keeps our mana looking good.

For the Minor Glyphs, these may vary among priests. The Glyph of Levitate is something all Priests normally use, as you never know when you might get tossed off a cliff or need to run across a lake. Glyph of Fading just helps with mana if I need to drop threat. And you never know when something bizarre will happen with the Shadowfiend. The only alternative I see viable is the Glyph of Fortitude, which would help with rebuffing a tank if he goes down and needs rebirthed.


I'll go into my gearing now.

Armory Link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Crushridge&cn=Ñursejoy
As you can see from my gearing, Spell Power and Haste are the two most important things I need, after getting hit capped. Oh, and Wirt's Leg.

Hit Cap with Draenei is 263 Hit Rating, and without Draenei is 289 Hit Rating.
Current Stat Weights are:
Int = 0.22 pp
Spi = 0.59 pp
SP = 1.00 pp
Hit = 1.88 pp
Crit = 0.76 pp
Haste = 0.98 pp

As you can see, Spell Power only barely outweighs Haste, so stacking it makes the most sense.

The Combat Ratings for all classes at level 80 are
1% hit = 26.23 hit rating at level 80.
1% haste = 32.79 haste rating at level 80.
1% crit = 45.91 crit rating at level 80.

So keeping those in mind, I try to get as much haste as I can on my gear, with critical strike coming in next. All cloth gear has Spell Power.

The use of Spellpower is quite obvious. Haste allows for faster casting times and a faster GCD. However, with patch 3.3, Blizzard updated Haste to affect the Damage-Over-Time tick speed of my Vampiric Touch and Devouring Plague spells. Therefore, Haste became a very close second to Spell Power in a matter of importance.

BiS Gear (Patch 3.3)
http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=24912
BiS Gear w/o Hardmodes (Patch 3.3)
http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=24768

However, with the introduction of the Ruby Sanctum and its new powerful trinkets, the Phylactery of the Nameless Lich is no longer second best. It was replaced by the Charred Twilight Scale.


Next up is my Rotation.

As of August 12, 2010, my "rotation" was basically keeping Vampiric Touch and Devouring Plague up, and spamming Mind Flay. However, I felt I was slightly behind on where I should be, and decided to do more research. I found a thread on shadowpriest.com with the math behind Mind Blast. The link is http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=24328&hilit=should+i+drop+mb.

Using section 3, with Mind Blast vs Mind Flay, 4 Piece Tier 10 Set Bonus, Mind Blast is still ahead, but only by a smaller amount. At any value of Haste where your GCD > 1sec, Mind Blast will take exactly one GCD to cast and Mind Flay will tick 3 times over 2 GCDs, for 1.5 ticks/GCD (1.8 ticks/GCD with 4pc t10). Haste only affects blast/flay balance after you are GCD capped. Assuming you have raidbuffs (+8.15% haste) but no Bloodlust or Heroism, you will require 38.7% haste from gear or 1268 Haste Rating to hit the GCD cap. To be honest, looking at my gear, a few upgrades will get me there, namely Dislodged Foreign Object and the Charred Twilight Scale.

So from that, haste matters not in the debate. So using what information I gleaned from this thread, I am updating my rotation to be basically keeping Vampiric Touch and Devouring Plague up, spamming Mind Flay, and using Mind Blast when it is off cool down. However, I am not going to take a dummy test for this, I am going to do a two week test, where one raid lockout for ICC 25 I will use the new rotation, and the next week I will use the old rotation and see how they compared. I'll try to factor in if I get any gear upgrades.

Keeping in mind the earlier paragraph that mentioned the GCD without Bloodlust or Heroism, Mind Blast in the rotation is better. But as Bloodlust/Heroism bring me to the GCD cap, I drop Mind Blast out of the rotation, favoring a spam of Mind Flay for the DPS increase. This is all theoretical though. I still am better without Mind Blast.

On a mana intensive fight, I will use Mind Blast to keep mana rolling in from Vampiric Touch's effect.

I feel my profession choices are necessary.

Looking at this link, it shows which are best. http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=24982
I am using Tailoring for two different reasons. The first is the important one, which is the cape enchant. 295 Spellpower buff that is up about one-fourth of the time is quite overpowered. Running hte calculations, and verifying with the above link, I've found it to be the second best profession for Shadow. The second reason, very very very minor, is the free leg enchant. Saved me thousands of gold of the upgrades.
I am using Jewelcrafting because before the haste buff, it was the best. I felt that it was still powerful enough after the buff to not have to spend thousands of gold training Engineering.



A screenshot is in order.

http://tinypic.com/r/2qxqqed/7
This one is of my healing set up, and also of my raid frames.

http://tinypic.com/r/28vg0wi/7
This one has my shadow set up. Keybind are not readily apparent.

List of keybinds are as follows, going from the top left to the right, row by row.

Row 1: `, 1, 2, 3, 4
Row 2: Mouse Button 5, Q, W, E, R
Row 3: Mouse Button 3, Mouse Button 4, F1, F2

Healing spells in shadow are bound to 7, 8, 9, U, I, O.


If accepted, I will get a name change with the transfer. Recommendations are appreciated. The more of an innuendo, the better.

Okay, I feel that was enough for now. A lot of typing as well. Any questions? Anything I missed.
Taiyoken
Spammer in Training
user avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 2108

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
Did you even read the application guideline?


_________________
You're a half a world away;
But in my mind I whisper every single word you say;
And before you sleep at night;
You pray to me, your lucky star, your singing satellite.

Healzurbut



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts:

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
Like some people seem to have selective hearing, I have selective reading. I totally ignore everything that is big and red.
Healzurbut



Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Posts:

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
Oh, and I have tons of seasoned bread and either whole cooked Pigs or large quantities of fish for anyone who's hungry.
Taiyoken
Spammer in Training
user avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 2108

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
http://nocowlevel.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2026374&gid=68045


_________________
You're a half a world away;
But in my mind I whisper every single word you say;
And before you sleep at night;
You pray to me, your lucky star, your singing satellite.

Raenlyth
In-Game Rank 9
Forum Weenie

user avatar

Joined: 19 May 2009
Posts: 471

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: Re: SPriest Application

0
Healzurbut wrote:
Looking at this link, it shows which are best. http://shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=24982
I am using Tailoring for two different reasons. The first is the important one, which is the cape enchant. 295 Spellpower buff that is up about one-fourth of the time is quite overpowered. Running hte calculations, and verifying with the above link, I've found it to be the second best profession for Shadow. The second reason, very very very minor, is the free leg enchant. Saved me thousands of gold of the upgrades.
I am using Jewelcrafting because before the haste buff, it was the best. I felt that it was still powerful enough after the buff to not have to spend thousands of gold training Engineering.


Engineering and Tailoring are definitely not a good combination to have. It actually even points that out in that thread.

And reading further in to that thread, the people using actual numbers show tailoring as roughly equivalent to 42 spellpower vs 23 for the haste enchant + another profession at 46-48.

I do give you props for not lying about selective reading though. Because you certainly weren't lying.


_________________
Remember the trees!
AwesomeGlad
Baby Spammer
user avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 886

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned some of these things to you before... because I think you've apped before. I could be wrong, and I feel too sick to go back and look it up, but I'm fairly certain I recognize the name.

Your keybinds are kind of funky, considering your natural movement keys are all bound to shadow spells. How do you move? Also, although I'm primarily a healer, all of my keybinds remain the same in both specs (with the exception of talented skills, such as Dispersion, CoH, Penance, etc.) so that if necessary, I can toss out a few quick heals in a cinch. I'm not sure what your keybinds are as a healer, but how do you effectively reach 7, 8, 9, and u, i, o on the other half of your keyboard?

However, it is unlikely we're recruiting anyone at this time. I'll keep this app open for a bit if you want to ask questions, but I can't give you a spot in the cow family as it stands.


_________________
Glad - Level 80 Night Elf Priest
Fixedone - Level 80 Human Paladin
Aubergine - Level 80 Night Elf Rogue
Pandophile
Forum Weenie
user avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 472

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
If Girthmonster says you're terrible. Then you're terrible.


_________________


Monks explained: The coefficient of kegsmash to the flying tigers serpent deck is about 6.73 so you need to make sure to get enough octopus fish in per minute along with your autoattacks otherwise the stacking salmon won't be able to blackout kick enough to drain your cup of tea.
Kahllan123
Forum Weenie


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 237

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
Girthmonster wrote:
If Girthmonster says you're terrible. Then you're terrible.


You are so terrible you wouldn't know terrible if it smacked you across the face with a 12pack of natty ice.


_________________
"Bottom line: If the raid leader tells you to do something, do it. Boss is at 1% and He says stop DPS and stand in fire? You do it."
Healers ARE held to a high standard, they're just also held to the healer motto: "We can't heal stupid".
Pandophile
Forum Weenie
user avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 472

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
Kahllan123 wrote:
Girthmonster wrote:
If Girthmonster says you're terrible. Then you're terrible.


You are so terrible you wouldn't know terrible if it smacked you across the face with a 12pack of natty ice.


Is that towards me or him?


_________________


Monks explained: The coefficient of kegsmash to the flying tigers serpent deck is about 6.73 so you need to make sure to get enough octopus fish in per minute along with your autoattacks otherwise the stacking salmon won't be able to blackout kick enough to drain your cup of tea.
Kahllan123
Forum Weenie


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 237

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
Girthmonster wrote:
Kahllan123 wrote:
Girthmonster wrote:
If Girthmonster says you're terrible. Then you're terrible.


You are so terrible you wouldn't know terrible if it smacked you across the face with a 12pack of natty ice.


Is that towards me or him?


point proven :p


_________________
"Bottom line: If the raid leader tells you to do something, do it. Boss is at 1% and He says stop DPS and stand in fire? You do it."
Healers ARE held to a high standard, they're just also held to the healer motto: "We can't heal stupid".
Drinksbeer
In-Game Rank 9
Baby Spammer

user avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Posts: 737

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
all of this is moot because we are not recruiting


_________________
Photobucket
Peasinpants

user avatar

Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts:

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
Drinksbeer wrote:
all of this is moot because we are not recruiting


howdoigetinthen????


_________________
Yeah, it's -that- guy.
Brokenone
In-Game Rank 9
Spammer in Training

user avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2008
Posts: 2186

Send private message
Reply with quote

re: SPriest Application

0
Just ask any cow officer sometime next reset.


_________________
Brokenone - 80 Paladin - Aegwynn
Misstriss - 80 Mage - Aegwynn
Brokenagain - 80 Hunter - Aegwynn
Fearwarder - 80 Priest - Aegwynn
Notglad - ~71 Death Knight - Aegwynn
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    There is no Cow Level Forum Index -> Recruitment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum